– promoting pubs that sell locally-brewed real ale, reducing the number of ‘beer miles’, and supporting local breweries.
What is CAMRA LocAle?
CAMRA LocAle is an initiative that promotes pubs stocking locally brewed real ale. The scheme builds on a growing consumer demand for quality local produce and an increased awareness of ‘green’ issues.
The CAMRA LocAle scheme was created in 2007 by CAMRA’s Nottingham branch which wanted
to help support the tradition of brewing within Nottinghamshire, following the demise of local brewer Hardys and Hansons. There are currently 125 CAMRA branches participating in the LocAle scheme which have accredited hundreds of pubs as LocAle pubs which regularly sell at least one locally-brewed real ale.
Everyone benefits from local pubs stocking locally-brewed real ale…
- Public houses as stocking local real ales can increase pub visits
- Consumers who enjoy greater beer choice and diversity
- Local brewers who gain from increased sales
- The local economy because more money is spent and retained locally
- The environment due to fewer ‘beer miles’ resulting in less road congestion and pollution
Tourism due to an increased sense of local identity and pride – let’s celebrate what makes our locality different
Pubs accredited with the LocAle within the branch area are constantly reviewed. If you run a pub that qualifies and is not currently listed in the scheme and would like to join, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the beers that you regularly stock that qualify under the scheme.
The Heart of Warwickshire scheme recognises pubs which regularly stock at least one real ale which is brewed by a local brewery, one that is within 25 miles’ driving distance.
CAMRA will provide the following benefits:
- Free LocAle listing on our website abd in the Beer & Ragged Staff, our free newsletter distributed quarterly widely around and adjacent to our area.
- LocAle information added to your pub entry on WhatPub
- Free publicity material to be displayed in the pub, including pump clip crowners, window stickers, posters and LocAle beer mats
To gain accreditation into the scheme, a pub needs to:
- Have at least one “local” real ale regularly on sale,
i.e. less than 25 miles from the brewery (this can
be different beers)
- Maintain the beer at a good standard
- Display the LocAle publicity material as appropriate
For more details visit: http://www.camra.org.uk/locale